Mama’s Boys: Aditi Rao Hydari-starrer modern, sleazy, funny short film on Mahabharat goes viral
Mama's Boys also stars Neena Gupta as Kunti – a stern mother who instructs her sons what to do. The film opens with one of the five Pandava brothers (Arjun) bringing home a wife – Draupadi (Aditi Rao Hydari) and excited about showing his new bride to his mother. Kunti (Neena Gupta) without showing much interest orders Arjun to share her with all his brothers. Angry at his mother’s orders, Arjun tries to convince her but fails. He then approaches each of his four brothers to help him out and make their mother understand that a wife is not for sharing.
At first, the brothers agree to help Arjun out but they are all seduced by Draupadi who is a saucy, racy, flirtatious modern woman happy to flirt with all brothers.
In the modern short film, the Pandavas dress in silk robes and head gears but the setting is a modern day household where they smoke, play poker, exercise in gym. Draupadi is modern, speaks English and shops for lingerie and is not ashamed or hesitant to talk about sex.
The youngest of the Pandava brothers – Nakul and Sahadev – are shown to be gay and are happy to hide their sexuality under the pretext of sharing Draupadi. Eldest Pandava – Yudhishthir – a righteous man who does not lie – is shown as a reckless gambler lusting after Draupadi after seeing her exit the swimming pool. Bheem, true to his Mahabharat character is a body builder in Mama’s Boys and fancies Draupadi after seeing her exercise at the gym. The film ends with Arjun left to defend himself with everyone including Draupadi excited with the idea of sharing.
Mama’s Boys is an irreverent and funny take on 2000-years-old legendary mythological story about Kurukshetra war. The 16-minute short film is director Akshat Verma’s interpretation of how Mahabharat characters would think and act in 21st century. It is a hit with youngsters on Twitter and other social media sites. So far, it has garnered nearly 650k views on YouTube.
The movie has divided opinion among Indians with many finding it a hilarious and irreverent rendition of Mahabharat while some, including right-wing activists claim it hurts their sentiments and mocks the Hindu community. There is also an FIR against the film and the team. Responding to the angry claims from right wing activists, Aditi Rao Hydari wrote on her Twitter account: “The most popular recreational activity 'taking offence'.”
Watch short film Mama’s Boys – a funny, 21st century take on Mahabharat here:
More like this
- SIIMA Awards 2015 Red Carpet Pics: Trisha, Shruti Hassan, Amy Jackson, Rana Daggubati, Hansika dazzle
- Bachchans Diwali Party: Hosts Abhi-Ash and guests Asin, Deepika-Ranveer, SRK all in traditional finery
- Manish Malhotra’s Ganesh Chaturthi pics: Aishwarya Rai, Rani Mukerji, Kriti Sanon look sensational in traditional attires
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th