Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th
“Rs. 500 and Rs.1000 notes are just papers from tomorrow," said PM Modi in an unprecedented address to the nation from National television Doordarshan the prime minister. The sudden decision caused panic leading to over 20k tweets on the topic on Twitter in minutes after the announcement.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation from New Delhi adding that these two denominations are mostly used in black money transactions. India is ranked number 70 in the global corruption index.
Other key steps include:
- A new series of Rs. 500 currency notes and Rs. 2000 currency notes will be brought into circulation.
- Rs 10,000 daily cash withdrawal and Rs 20,000 weekly cash withdrawal limit
- ATMS will not function on November 9th and in some places until November 10th
- There is no restrictions on internet banking, cash, demand draft transactions.
- People have 50 days (up to 30 Dec) to deposit notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 in any bank or Post office.
- As much as Rs 1.25-lakh crores came out during the amnesty scheme on black money declared by Modi government.
In his passionate speech, Modi added that corruption and black money are the main obstacles in the fight against poverty.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th