Recipe: Narali Bhaat or sweet coconut-jaggery rice for Narali Purnima
Here’s the recipe: (serves 6 to 8)
Ingredients required for sweet coconut rice (Narali Bhaat)
4 cups old rice
1 grated fresh coconut
6 cups jaggery
1 cup ghee(clarified butter)
Blanched almonds and or raisins
Wash and drain the rice. Keep aside for about an hour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan and add the cloves to it. Add the washed and drained rice to this.
Roast the rice in the ghee for a couple of minutes, till all the grains get coated with ghee.
Add in twice the measure of warm water to the rice and cook the rice. Remember, the rice needs to be nice and fluffy....each grain needs to stand out.
In a thick bottom pan, cook the grated coconut and the jaggery together. All the jaggery has to melt and softens the coconut slightly.
More like this
Add the cooked rice this and fold into the coconut-jaggery mix. To this add in the cardamom, blanched almonds and raisins.
Add in the rest of the ghee and fold again taking care not to mush the rice. Cover and let it steam once.
If you can manage adding coconut milk, the flavours will enhance doubly!! If you plan to do so, you will need to add 2 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water to the rice in order to cook it.
You may serve Narali Bhaat warm or cold depending on your tastes and preferences. You may also serve Narali Bhaat in a coconut shell cup to make it extra special!
Preeti Deo, India News Bulletin’s food expert, works in a Special Needs School and is passionate about cooking and experimenting with traditional Maharashtrian recipes.
Recently she has started a project whereby she is cooking up dishes following the recipes from the traditional Marathi cookbook Ruchira by late Kamalabai Ogale.
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Video: Watch Sunny Leone sizzle in Laila Main Laila song from SRK’s Raees
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos