Indian cabinet 2015: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in the Modi government
Indian Ministers and their portfolio in the Modi government:
Narendra Modi - Prime Minister of India, Nuclear Energy, Pension, Grievance Redressal, Personnel and all unallocated departments.
23 Ministers have Cabinet department portfolios under the Modi government. There are also other 21 Ministers of State - bringing the "lean" Cabinet strength to 45 members.
List of Cabinet Ministers who took Oath of the Office with the PM:
- Rajnath Singh - Home Minister
- Sushma Swaraj - Ministry of External Affairs
- Arun Jaitley - Finance Minister & Defence Minister
- Venkaiah Naidu - Urban Development Minister
- Nitin Gadkari - Surface Transport Minister & Shipping Minister
- D.V. Sadanand Gowda - Railway Minister
- Uma Bharati - Water Resources and Ganga Minister
- Najma Heptullah - Ministry of Minorities
- Gopinath Munde - Rural Development, Panchayat and Water Resources - *Gopinath Munde passed away on 3rd June 2014 following a road accident in Delhi. New minister to be announced later.
- Ramvilas Paswan - Food & Civil Supplies Minister
- Kalraj Mishra - Small Industries and Micro Industries
- Maneka Gandhi - Women and Child Development Minister
- Ananth Kumar - Parliamentary Affairs Minister; Chemical and Fertilizers Minister
- Pasupati Ashok Gajapati Raju - Civil Aviation
- Anant Geete - Heavy Industries and Public Sector
- Harsimrat Kaur Badal - Food Processing Industries
- Narendra Singh Tomar - Mines, Steel and Labour
- Jaul Oram - Minister for Tribal Affairs
- Radha Mohan Singh - Agriculture Minister
- Thawar Chand Gehlot - Social Justice and Empowerment
- Smriti Irani - Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister
- Harsh Vardhan - Health and Family Welfare Minister
- Ravi Shankar Prasad - Law and Justice Minister, IT Minister
Ministers of State
- Gen Vijay Kumar Singh (Ex-Army chief VK Singh) - Minister of State (MoS) - Independent Charge
- Rao Inderjit Singh - MoS - Planing, Statistics and Plan Implementation - Independent Charge
- Santosh Gangwar - MoS - Textiles, Parliamentary Affairs, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Purification - Independent Charge
- Shripad Naik - MoS - Culture and Tourism - Independent Charge
- Dharmendra Pradhan - MoS - Petroleum and Natural Gas - Independent Charge
- Sarbananda Sonowal - MoS - Youth Affairs, Sports and Talent Development - Independent Charge
- Prakash Javadekar - MoS - Information & Broadcasting (I&B)
- Piyush Goel - MoS Power
- Jitendra Singh - MoS - Science and Technology, PMO, Pension, Personnel, Nuclear Energy and Grievance Redressal - Independent Charge
- Nirmala Seetharaman - MoS for Commerce
- G.M Siddeshwara - MoS for Civil Aviation
- Manoj Sinha - MoS for Railways
- Upendra Kushwaha - MoS for Rural Development, Panchayat and Water Resources
- Pon Radhakrishnan - MoS for Heavy Industries and Public Sector
- Kiren Rijiju - MoS for Home Affairs
- Krishnan Pal Gurjar - MoS for Road Transport, Highways and Ship Transport
- Sanjeev Kumar Balyan - MoS for Agriculture and Food Processing
- Mansukhbhai Vasava - MoS for Tribal Welfare
- Raosaheb Dadarao Danve - MoS for Food Supply and Consumer Affairs
- Vishnu Dev Sai - MoS for for Mines, Steel and Labour
- Sudarshan Bhagat - MoS for Social Justice and Empowerment
Watch the update here:
Indian Cabinet 2014
The story so far:
Modi party and its allies won the 2014 Lok Sabha election polls with a sizeable mandate (336 out of 543). Modi broke down in tears while accepting the leadership position formally from President Pranab Mukherjee. He is becoming a popular leader with his official Facebook page garnering as much as 15 million followers in a week after he won the elections.
His full cabinet will be sworn in on the same day as him -- May 26. Modi aims to replicate the "Gujarat model" of governance in the centre. He is keen to have a leaner government with fewer ministers than fill all 84 departments. This means, instead of having separate ministers for Coal and Power, there will be a single person in charge of Energy Ministry covering both roles.
In a bold move, Modi extended an invitation to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to attend the swearing-in ceremony. He invited other South Asian leaders too for the ceremony. Sharif has accepted the invitation.
Modi resigned as Gujarat Chief Minister on May 21 after 13 years in the position.
While the new list of cabinet ministers is yet to be announced, speculations are rife that Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, Nitin Gadkari and Sushma Swaraj will get the top posts -- Finance, Home, External Affairs and Defence.
Modi is said to favour Singh for Home and Jaitley for Finance. But Arun Shourie, a former divestment minister, too is in the race for Finance.
It is reported that Gadkari is also vying for Finance while many feel he is best suited for crucial infrastructure portfolio such as Transport Ministry based on his execution of the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Meanwhile, Swaraj is favoured for the role of Minister of External Affairs.
Other top cabinet ministers in the upcoming Modi-government could include Murli Manohar Joshi as Speaker, Ananth Kumar as Parliamentary Affairs Minister, E Sreedharan for Railways, Yashwant Sinha for Planning Commission, Venkaiah Naidu for Agriculture, Ravi Shankar Prasad as Law Minister, and Shahnawaz Hussain as Minority Affairs Minister.
Meanwhile, ex-PM Manmohan Singh has resigned from his post but will act as a caretaker PM until the new Cabinet under Modi government is formed.
More like this
- 2015: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2015: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in the Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- SIIMA Awards 2015 Red Carpet Pics: Trisha, Shruti Hassan, Amy Jackson, Rana Daggubati, Hansika dazzle
- Mastani in a Saree! 8 Photos of Deepika Padukone's saree appearances in 2015!
- Dilwale Gerua song video and pics: Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan recreate chemistry and romantic magic
- Bajirao Mastani Pinga song video: Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra in epic Maharashtrian magic
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Kapoor and Sons Trailer: Alia Bhatt-Sidharth Malhotra starrer is a potboiler of comedy, emotions and love
- Miss Universe 2015 Epic Gaffe! Wrong Country Crowned Miss Universe in the Live Show
- Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Varun Dhawan and Kriti Sanon in London! Dilwale team wins hearts in UK
- Kate Middleton wears Indian designer brand! Duchess looks regal in blue Saloni dress
- KIFF21: Amitabh-Jaya Bachchan, Vidya Balan, Sharmila Tagore and didi Mamata Banerjee add more glamour to Kolkata film fest