Review: Kailash Parbat Wembley, London - your chaat-haven
Launched five months ago on Wembley’s Ealing Road street, an average-sized Kailash Parbat vegetarian restaurant shares the neighbourhood with other popular Indian food chains such as Saravanaa Bhavan, Jashn and Chennai Dosa.
But one taste of the chaat dishes at Kailash Parbat Wembley and you know you will go back again. And yet again and again.
The chaat-house has come a long way from 1952 when it was launched as a “roadside halwai” in Mumbai to today when it offers a contemporary and cosy dining experience in its newest international branch at Wembley in London.
Food: First the food. Rest assured that the food is no different to the one available at Kailash Parbat Colaba branch in Mumbai.
Chhola Batura, Club sandwiches, stuffed Parathas, Kulfi Falooda, Ragda Pattice, Pav Bhaji, Khichdi and Bhel – Kailash Parbat Wembley London offers you everything you have been yearning for.
More like this
The buttery, spicy-but-not-too-hot Pav Bhaaji and the authentic crunchy nylon sev sprinkled on bhel puris to the thick and scrumptious mango Lassi and the refreshing Kulfi Falooda, the dishes are true to their original recipes.
Those looking for a proper Indian meal and not too keen on chaats have the option of proper dinner full with soups, Indian starters, main course of -- Khichdi, Biryani, and roti-paratha-sabji combinations – and Indian desserts.
India News Bulletin would recommend Kailash Parbat to even those who are not familiar with Mumbai’s chaat tastes to understand exactly why Mumbaikars in London get irked by the chaat available in London.
It also offers take away service. The delivery is free for those living within 3 miles for an order of over £15.
Prices: Kailash Parbat Wembley is not your corner chaat house but is designed as a joint offering contemporary dining experience, hygienic environment and authentic Indian vegetarian food. This means the prices are not as cheap as your fast food joints such as Saravanaa Bhavan. But for £25-£30, two people can eat to their heart’s content and fulfil their Mumbai food nostalgia.
Upside: Kailash Parbat Wembley takes you the closest you can get to the chaat-wala on Chowpatti beach. For others looking for vegetarian Indian meals but not strictly south Indian ones, it offers a wide variety of north Indian dishes.
Downside: While most of the dishes with their authentic taste and smell will transport you back to Mumbai streets, India News Bulletin was disappointed not to find hot pani puris – just like the kinds available in Mumbai. But if steaming hot pani puris aren’t your favourite, Kailash Parbat Wembley will not let your taste-buds down.
The portion sizes could have been a tad bit larger, considering they taste so good. And yes, we would love hot pani puris too!
India News Bulletin top tip: Try the Pav Bhaji, Pani Puri, Bhel Puri, Ragda Pattice, Chhole Bature or the Khichchdi and the Kulfi Falooda, Rabdi or Ras Malai. In fact, try any dish with the “chef recommended” mark on it – these are Kailash Parbat Wembley’s signature dishes and that would prove why you will come back here again and again. And oh yes, do not forget to wash the food down your throat with a delicious glass of mango lassi!
India News Bulletin pays for its meals and all its restaurant reviews are independent and unbiased.Follow Archana Venkatraman on Google+
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Review: Southall Travel (Also Travel Trolley and Fly Sharp)
- Video: Watch Sunny Leone sizzle in Laila Main Laila song from SRK’s Raees
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Watch Sidharth Malhotra propose to Priyanka Chopra: Nirav Modi Jewels ad is melting hearts
- Suhana Khan’s leaked acting videos! SRK’s daughter plays Cinderella in two leaked videos going viral
- Kew Gardens Orchids Festival: Celebrating India’s vibrant orchids
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges