Sabudana Khichdi Recipe: How to make Sabudana Khichdi without lumps
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe- Ingredients
Sabudana (Sago beans): Medium sized
Roasted peanuts (handful)
Finely diced potatoes (1-2)
Green chilli (to taste)
Pinch of sugar
Coriander leaves (optional)
How to make Sabudana Khichdi
The trick is in soaking the sabudana correctly. Take a wide flat-based dish or utensil and place the sabudana beans. Pour water (at room temperature) just until all the beans are fully soaked. Please do not use hot water as sago beans may disintegrate because of the heat. Please do not pour too much water as sabudana cannot absorb too much water and it will result in soggy beans at the bottom.
It is best to soak sabudana overnight.
Making the Khichdi the next morning
By morning, the sabudana seeds should have swollen and there should be no water or wetness at the bottom of the flat dish. Add 2 pinches of salt (or to taste) to the dish and gently stir or shake so the salt mixes with all the seeds.
Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. You can also add curry leaves at this stage but some don't like the appearance of curry leaves on sabudana, so it is entirely optional. Add finely diced potatoes and chopped green chillies next. You can use normal-sized diced potatoes too but finely diced ones will cook faster. Add crushed roasted peanuts next and a little bit more oil and a little bit of salt and a pinch of sugar. Once the potatoes are fully done, put the hob on sim and gently add the sabudana to the mix. Add a little dash of oil more and gently stir with a flat spatula or any spoon that will be gentle on the sago beans. Keep stirring and add dash of oil if you feel necessary. There may be some amount of stickiness at the very bottom of the pan but the rest of it will be good. Keep stirring gently to avoid lumps and keep on the simmer until the sabudana beans become shiny and transparent and soft. Take the pan out of the gas hob. Taste and add salt if necessary.
You can garnish with chopped coriander leaves and a dash of lemon juice.
Alternative Sabudana recipe!
INB received a few granma tips to further spruce up sabudana khichdi! You can add finely chopped onion and sauté it until translucent before adding the diced potatoes. Follow the rest of the recipe as usual for a tinge of caramelized onion taste to your spicy savoury sabudana Khichdi.
We hope you like our recipe and it works for you! If you have any tips or recipes you would like to share with us, please write to us at email@example.com.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th