Recipe - Vermicelli upma or sevai upma
Here’s how to make vermicelli or sevai upma
1/2 kg Shevaya – Vermicelli (if it is long, you need to crush them before using)
2 tbsp urad dal
1/2 cup cashews or peanuts (I used peanuts and some frozen peas and corns)
1 small fresh coconut grated (I made use of my desiccated coconut)
5-6 green chillies chopped
1 chopped onion
Ghee, coriander, curry leaves, salt, cumin seeds, lemon juice, oil for phodni (tempering), hing.
Roast the shevaya in ghee (well I used 1/2 tsp of ghee for the valvat... and loved the aroma...you may use olive oil if you wish)
In a pan, prepare the tempering with oil. Add in the cumin seeds, once the oil is hot. When these splutter, add in the urad dal, curry leaves, chopped green chillies, peanuts, followed by chopped onions. Saute these till the onion turn translucent. If you are using frozen peas and corns, add them now. Stir.
More like this
To this, one needs to add enough water (less than the shevaya) to cook but not to make these soggy. To this, add the salt and lemon juice. If you are adding cashews, you can add them now. Add in the shevaya. Cover and steam.
Garnish with coconut and coriander. This upma can be relished for breakfast or snacks.
Preeti Deo, India News Bulletin’s food expert, works in a Special Needs School and is passionate about cooking and experimenting with traditional Maharashtrian recipes.
Recently she has started a project whereby she is cooking up dishes following the recipes from the traditional Marathi cookbook Ruchira by late Kamalabai Ogale.
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Video: Watch Sunny Leone sizzle in Laila Main Laila song from SRK’s Raees
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos