Recipe: Kaju chi Usal (Cashew Curry)
Although the recipe is best made with fresh and wet cashews, you can prepare the curry with soaked cashews we get regularly at the supermarkets in the UK – just remember to soak the cashew nuts for about 2-3 hours.
Ingredients required for Cashew curry or Kaju chi Usal
250g Cashews – can be used dry but ideally wet or soaked for 2-3 hours
2 cups of freshly scraped coconut
1 tbsp poppy seeds
A small piece of nutmeg
An inch of cinnamon stick
4 green chillies
Salt to taste
For tempering, you will need mustard seeds, turmeric, hing (asafoetida) and ghee.
And for garnishing, you will need freshly chopped coriander and some grated coconut.
Dry roast all the dry spices separately. Grind them with the scraped coconut. Add in water if you need to. Leave this masala aside.
In a pan, prepare the tempering with ghee, hing and turmeric. Add in the soaked cashews and stir. To this mixture, add about half a cup of water, cover and cook for about 3-5 mins. Now, add the fresh masala prepared earlier. Add salt and cover to cook till the cashews are soft.
When done serve garnished with chopped coriander and scraped coconut. Cashew curry or Kaju chi Usal is not just nutritious and protein-packed, but tastes divine when served with hot chappatis!
More like this
Preeti Deo, India News Bulletin’s food expert, works in a Special Needs School and is passionate about cooking and experimenting with traditional Maharashtrian recipes.
Recently she has started a project whereby she is cooking up dishes following the recipes from the traditional Marathi cookbook Ruchira by late Kamalabai Ogale.
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Video: Watch Sunny Leone sizzle in Laila Main Laila song from SRK’s Raees
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos