PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
Although fees for PIO conversion is nil, applicants may have to pay the service charges and the postal charges as applied by outsourcing agency VFS.
Indian PM Narendra Modi made an appeal on Twitter urging PIO card holders to get their OCI cards.
Indian government announced via Gazette Notification in 2015 that all PIO cards issued till 09 January 2015 are deemed to be OCI card. Since then, the PIO Card scheme has been withdrawn and henceforth, applicants may apply for OCI card ONLY, as PIO card scheme is no longer in existence.
PIO card holders can submit the applications for OCI card in lieu of PIO card to the Indian Mission/FRRO concerned within the jurisdiction of his/her place of residence. Previously, card holders were instructed to apply only at the location where the PIO card was issued.
Indian government has confirmed, in the event of change of passport of PIO card holder, he/she can travel to India on the basis of new passport with the valid PIO card and the old passport on which PIO card number is endorsed.
Indiansd abroad can also note that from 2015, application forms for OCI services in lieu of PIO Cards are accepted at the VFS centres only and no OCI services are being rendered at the High Commission of India, London.
Read our VFS Paddington review here.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th