‘Non-Veg’ £5 Note! New Five Pound currency has become controversial for THIS reason
The petition “Remove Tallow from bank notes” has gathered nearly 130,000 votes. Once it garners 150,000 votes, it will be sent to Bank of England.
According to the Change.org petition, the new £5 notes contain animal fat in the form of tallow. “This is unacceptable to millions of vegans, vegetarians, Hindus, Sikhs, Jains and others in the U.K.”
We demand that you cease to use animal products in the production of currency that we have to use, the petition reads.
According to Hindu Forum of Britain, the note should be made “Karma-free” as soon as possible.
Bank of England has admitted it was not aware of the use of tallow when the contract was signed with supplier, Innovia.
The Bank added that an “extremely small amount of tallow is used in an early stage of the production process of polymer pellets, which are then used to create the base substrate for the five-pound note”.
But “Saving and sharing wealth (the Goddess of fortune) in currency tainted by unnecessary harm to animals is somewhat of an oxymoron," Shree Gauridas, spiritual commissioner of HFB and a director of the UK's ISKCON temple is cited.
The Bank of England said that it respects the concerns raised by some Hindu groups, vegetarians and vegans and is looking into the issue with “utmost seriousness”.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th