UK Indians urge Lord Chamberlain to display Shivaji Raja sword gift in Royal Collection from 1875
The petition is raised by Ragasudha Vinjamuri-Rapatwar, academic tutor, University of Sunderland, London Campus and also the PRO for Maharashtra Mandal London (MML), on Change.org. According to her, several prestigious artefacts from India have made their way to the prestigious British museums including Victoria & Albert, and have been very well preserved and maintained since. The petition urges Lord Chamberlain, in charge of HM Queen's Royal Collection, to have the sword displayed (on loan) at one of the UK museums for the British Indians to view it.
As per the petition, the esteemed treasure, a sword gifted by Raja Shivaji IV, the Chhatrapati of Kolhapur, to H.R.H. Prince of Wales during the Tour of India (1875-1876) is an object that "stood as the symbol and strength of friendship between the two nations and is present in the Royal Collection (no.11262)".
The petition coincides with the scheduled high-profile visit of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the UK in November.
According to Ragasudha Vinjamuri-Rapatwar, the Jagdamba sword in the Royal Collection was last viewed back in 1978 by Babasaheb Purandare, currently 93 year-old.
The petition also quotes Trupti Patel, President of Hindu Forum of Britain saying, "coinciding with the moment of community pride in view of the visit of His Excellency Prime Minister of India Shri Modiji and vitalising the motto 'Two Great Nations, One Glorious Future', it will be an opportune moment to exhibit (on loan) the sword of Shivaji for a wider public viewing for a specific duration, either at British Museum or Victoria and Albert Museum' in the coming months."
You can view and sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/the-rt-hon-the-earl-peel-dcvo-dl-lord-chamberlain-display-artefacts-that-radiate-indian-heritage-and-history
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th