Leicester city gets first Indian visa centre after 20 years of campaign
It will cater to the large Indian community living in the city. Indian-origin people form more than 28% of Leicester’s population. Until now, Leicester residents had to travel to Birmingham or London for Indian visa or passport services.
The visa agency was launched by the Indian High Commission after it revealed the plans to establish the centre in Leicester back in May this year. The centre was officially opened by Leicester East MP Keith Vaz and Indian Consul General Vyragyam Siddi Ramalingam on November 29, 2013.
Vaz billed the centre’s launch as a “historic day” for the British city after 20-year long campaign.
“I cannot believe that after so many years of campaigning it has finally become a reality. It is a wonderful gift to Leicester,” Vaz said.
The Home Office Biometric Centre in the City Centre and now the new Indian visa centre will make Leicester “the hub of the East Midlands”, he added.
The Indian visa centre is likely to attract residents from neighbouring Loughborough, Coventry, and Northampton areas which in turn will help bring more trade for the local businesses on the Golden Mile. It is also likely to ease the pressure off other two Indian visa centres (London and Birmingham).
The centre will initially be opened once a week each Friday between 10am to 2pm and thereafter will open on additional days depending on the demand.
More like this
“We welcome this new development for which I must acknowledge Keith Vaz’s efforts to help the Leicester Indian community in particular,” said Peepul Centre’s chairman Anil Bhanot OBE.
Follow Archana Venkatraman on Google+
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th