Keith Vaz denies wrongdoing after newspaper revealed 'suspicious' payments
According to the Daily Telegraph report, detectives found that between 1997 and 2001, hundreds of thousands of pounds were deposited into the MP’s savings and current account in addition to his salary.
More like this
The Telegraph report further suggested that a police officer termed the payments into Vaz's account as suspicious.
"They were not suspicious in any way. They relate to the sale of a family home in London, the purchase of a new family home and a drawdown of equity from my bank," said Vaz in a statement denying any wrongdoing.
"When you sell a house and you buy a new house it is normal practice for the money to be paid into your account and then paid out," he continued.
The newspaper contacted Vaz on Sunday, September 30 in relation to the police investigation. "I asked them to supply me with a copy of the report but they did not have one," Vaz added. But the newspaper did not have a copy as the report was an "internal briefing note".
"I have never had seven or eight mortgages running concurrently," he added. The implications that I then owned seven or eight properties are untrue."
“The properties I owned between 1996 and 2001 are clearly set out in the 2001-2002 inquiry,” Vaz said.
Following the 2001-2002 inquiry, several broadcasters and newspapers made extensive inquiries about the payment issues.
“My finances were discussed by every newspaper in the country for three years and were the subject of extensive examination. I have had no outside interests," Vaz said.
Amid the parliamentary inquiry into his conduct, Vaz even resigned as Europe minister from the Labour government in June 2001.
"All the properties I own apart from my family home are in the Register as they are required to be. All properties and rent received has been fully declared," the 55-year-old former minister sought to clarify.
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- Bajirao Mastani Pinga song video: Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra in epic Maharashtrian magic
- Review: Southall Travel (Also Travel Trolley and Fly Sharp)
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Watch Sidharth Malhotra propose to Priyanka Chopra: Nirav Modi Jewels ad is melting hearts
- Suhana Khan’s leaked acting videos! SRK’s daughter plays Cinderella in two leaked videos going viral
- Kew Gardens Orchids Festival: Celebrating India’s vibrant orchids
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges