Janmashtami 2016 in UK: NRIs and London Indians throng ISKCON Bhaktivedanta Manor to explore Vrindavan, Krishna Land and cultural festivities
The most significant Krishna Janmashtami celebrations in the UK is marked at ISKCON’s Bhaktivedanta Manor in London Watford (Hertfordshire). The four-day packed programme schedule features Kirtans, aartis, bhajans, dance and drama shows, abhisheks, and mahaprasad (pratibhojan) from 2pm onwards. Like every year, the main celebrations will be conducted in a large makeshift tent at the Bhaktivedanta Manor grounds and is expected to attract tens of thousands of devotees (as many as 70,000) to become the largest Janmashtami celebrations outside of India.
Every year during Janmashtami celebrations, Bhaktivedanta Manor's grounds are transformed into a magnificent festival and brought to life with music, interactive multimedia displays, traditional dance performances, dramas, Japa mediation, learn more about the philosophy, as well as a Krishnaland for children.
Bhaktivedanta Manor’s Janmashtami 2016 theme includes awe-inspiring and imagination-fueling concepts such as “Bhakti on the beach” – an interactive gameshow on a beach exploring Bhagvad Gita; as well as “Secrets of Vrindavan” – a miniature recreation of Lord Krishna’s Vrindavan Gardens where the Lord is believed to have spent his childhood. There is also an area dedicated to “Science of the Soul” where devotees can discover their real selves through a synthesis of science and spiritual philosophy. Kids will have plenty to explore too and discover Indian culture by entering Vrindavan, “Krishna Land”, swing baby Krishna and have picnics with family in dedicated areas. There will be several food stalls on the ground and a bazaar area to purchase spiritual artefacts, books and audio CDs among others.
While Bhaktivedanta Manor hosted UK’s biggest Krishna Janmashtami festival, other ISKCON temples including ISKCON Birmingham, and ISKCON Manchester too celebrate Gokulashtami 2016 with kirtans, aartis, bhajans, drama, dance and vegetarian feasts. BAPS Swaminarayan Temple in London Neasden will also celebrate Janmashtami on Thursday, August 25th with devotional singing, aarti, rajbhog aarti and annakut darshan.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Video: Watch Sunny Leone sizzle in Laila Main Laila song from SRK’s Raees
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos