India GDP grows 7.6% in 2015-16 becoming world’s fastest-growing large economy
Indian PM Modi is scheduled to officially travel to US Capital Washington DC on June 7th and 8th 2016 to meet top investors and businesses. The high growth for 2015-16 was a result of an impressive 7.9% GDP growth for quarter January-March quarter. It was up from stood 7.3% growth in the previous quarter (October-December), higher than industry analysts anticipated.
India’s strong quarterly growth figures come as its rival Asian economy China recorded its slowest growth in nearly seven years. China’s economy grew just 6.7% in its latest quarter as against India’s 7.9% growth.
According to the official figures from the Central Statistics Office of India, the sectors growing over 7% are 'financial, real estate and professional services', ‘trade, hotels, transport, communication and services related to broadcasting’, and manufacturing'. Other sectors such as ‘mining and quarrying’, ‘electricity, gas, water supply and other utility services’, ‘construction’ and ‘public administration, defence and other services’ grew 6.9%, 5.9%, 3.7% and 6.9% respectively.
The growth in the ‘agriculture, forestry and fishing’, historically considered the backbone of the Indian economy grew 1.1% demonstrating Indian economy’s transition into a services economy rather than an agricultural economy.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley who is currently at the Future of Asia conference was buoyant with the latest GDP figures. He urged top infrastructure companies in Japan to be a part of India’s growth story and said that “India can be a powerful driver” especially at a time when China is slowing down. The Indian delegates at the conference also reassured investors that there's a clear commitment from the Indian government to improve the regulatory and business environment for investors in India.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos
- Panic as Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes become invalid, and Banks, ATMs closed on Nov 9th