Cricket: India-South Africa bilateral series is titled Mahatma Gandhi-Nelson Mandela Series
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Cricket South Africa (CSA) have titled all future bilateral series between the two countries - “The Mahatma Gandhi-Nelson Mandela Series". The tour comprises 3 Twenty20 Internationals, 5 One-day Internationals and 4 Test matches.
“For the people of both our countries there is no greater duty than to uphold the ideals of both Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. As cricket loving people we must fight hard to win on the field of play but never forget to do battle in the spirit of these two great men," said CSA's chief executive Haroon Lorgat.
“Naming all future bilateral series between our two countries after Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela is eternal news for our people and cricketers and I would like to thank the Nelson Mandela Foundation for their support,” concluded Lorgat.
According to the South African cricket board, the revered names of Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela leave the team with a huge responsibility to live up to the legacies they have left.
BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur, said: “BCCI, on behalf of every citizen of our country is able to pay tribute to these great leaders by naming the series after them and appeal to each and every citizen of our country to imbibe their ideals and follow the path advised by them," he added.
In support of the test series and to welcome the South African team, Oxigen Wallet - the RBI approved non-bank mobile wallet app - has launched a new marketing campaign called "Playthehost"- aimed at enabling cricket fans across India to play the perfect host to The Proteas - South African T20 Cricket Team.
The 4-month long campaign will promote the brand's "safety, convenience & dependability". The South African cricket team will promote Oxigen Wallet and the players will be seen sporting the Oxigen branded jersey in the T20 matches. The marketing budget set for the entire campaign is approximately $15 million.
Ankur Saxena, CEO of Oxigen Wallet said, “Playing the host is an effort to reinforce India’s warmth and hospitality to people from across the world. The famous verse from the ancient Hindu scripture is the inspiration behind this 360 degree campaign.
"The previous success of incorporation of global players in IPL teams, have made the South African cricketers a household name, amongst the cricket fans in India. Hence, sponsoring them was a natural choice and we will bank on their presence as much as possible during the T20 tour to India.” added Ankur.
India won Test Series against Sri Lanka (2-1)
In a related news, India won the three-match Test series (2-1) against Sri Lanka, making it India's first win in a test series against Sri Lanka in 22 years. It also marks Virat Kohli's first series win as India’s Test captain.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Review: Southall Travel (Also Travel Trolley and Fly Sharp)
- Video: Watch Sunny Leone sizzle in Laila Main Laila song from SRK’s Raees
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Watch Sidharth Malhotra propose to Priyanka Chopra: Nirav Modi Jewels ad is melting hearts
- Suhana Khan’s leaked acting videos! SRK’s daughter plays Cinderella in two leaked videos going viral
- Kew Gardens Orchids Festival: Celebrating India’s vibrant orchids
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges