Ikea to open 25 stores in India
The Ikea group will set up a 100 per cent subsidiary in single-brand retail trading in India if it succeeds in its application with the Foreign Invetment Promotion Board (FIPB)through its adviser Titus and Co Advocates, a Delhi-based law firm.
According to the proposal, IKEA will invest £510m (Rs 4,200 crore) to open 10 stores in major cities in the first stage. The remaining £780 million (Rs 6,300 crore) would be used to open 15 more stores.
The retailer’s application comes after the Indian government set up a 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in single-brand retail in January 2012. The FDI notifications could lead to more global retailers such as Adidas, Louis Vuitton and Gucci have full ownership of their India operations.
The time scales of Ikea’s Indian retail plans were not disclosed.
As of August 2011, Ikea operates stores in more than 38 countries, with 287 stores in 26 countries belonging to the IKEA Group. All IKEA stores are operated under franchise from Inter IKEA Systems B.V.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Priyanka Chopra’s armpits are making news, but why?
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- Pics: South Indian Cinema Stars Glitter at 63rd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South) 2016
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- SIIMA Awards 2015 Red Carpet Pics: Trisha, Shruti Hassan, Amy Jackson, Rana Daggubati, Hansika dazzle
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Janmashtami 2016 in UK: NRIs and London Indians throng ISKCON Bhaktivedanta Manor to explore Vrindavan, Krishna Land and cultural festivities
- Rio 2016: Olympics Full Medal Table: PV Sindhu and Sakshi Malik make India proud with silver and bronze medals
- Ad videos: Watch Deepika Padukone launch Tanishq’s Queen of Hearts diamond collection
- Hrithik Roshan starrer Mohenjo Daro film’s official trailer leaves audience spellbound, goes viral!
- Priyanka Chopra in London City! Here to promote Quantico and celebrate mum’s birthday