Ikea to open 25 stores in India
The Ikea group will set up a 100 per cent subsidiary in single-brand retail trading in India if it succeeds in its application with the Foreign Invetment Promotion Board (FIPB)through its adviser Titus and Co Advocates, a Delhi-based law firm.
According to the proposal, IKEA will invest £510m (Rs 4,200 crore) to open 10 stores in major cities in the first stage. The remaining £780 million (Rs 6,300 crore) would be used to open 15 more stores.
The retailer’s application comes after the Indian government set up a 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in single-brand retail in January 2012. The FDI notifications could lead to more global retailers such as Adidas, Louis Vuitton and Gucci have full ownership of their India operations.
The time scales of Ikea’s Indian retail plans were not disclosed.
As of August 2011, Ikea operates stores in more than 38 countries, with 287 stores in 26 countries belonging to the IKEA Group. All IKEA stores are operated under franchise from Inter IKEA Systems B.V.
More like this
- 2016: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- As the venerated former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away, here's a list of all Presidents of India
- Indian cabinet 2016: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in Narendra Modi government
- List of all the major rivers of India: Names, Origin and Length
- Commonwealth Games 2014: Full list of Indian gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- Bollywood Dream Team 2016: Katrina, Alia, Sidharth, Varun, Parineeti, Aditya Roy Kapur US tour in August
- Dosa recipe: How to make crispy Paper Dosa and Masala Dosa
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Daboo Ratnani 2017 Calendar: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, SRK, Ranveer, Priyanka, Shraddha turn up the heat
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- Boris Johnson India Visit: UK Foreign Secretary discusses trade ties and border security with Modi
- PIO deadline! Indians abroad must convert PIO to OCI by 30th June 2017 for free but pay VFS charges
- BBC 100 Women 2016 List: Sunny Leone and 4 Indian women in inspirational and influential list
- Befikre in London! Vaani Kapoor and Ranveer Singh brave London weather to promote Befikre
- 'Modi Takes Bribe' hashtag (#ModiTakesBribe) trending on Twitter amid demonetization chaos