Ikea to open 25 stores in India
The Ikea group will set up a 100 per cent subsidiary in single-brand retail trading in India if it succeeds in its application with the Foreign Invetment Promotion Board (FIPB)through its adviser Titus and Co Advocates, a Delhi-based law firm.
According to the proposal, IKEA will invest £510m (Rs 4,200 crore) to open 10 stores in major cities in the first stage. The remaining £780 million (Rs 6,300 crore) would be used to open 15 more stores.
The retailer’s application comes after the Indian government set up a 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in single-brand retail in January 2012. The FDI notifications could lead to more global retailers such as Adidas, Louis Vuitton and Gucci have full ownership of their India operations.
The time scales of Ikea’s Indian retail plans were not disclosed.
As of August 2011, Ikea operates stores in more than 38 countries, with 287 stores in 26 countries belonging to the IKEA Group. All IKEA stores are operated under franchise from Inter IKEA Systems B.V.
More like this
- 2015: Full list of Indian States, capitals and their Chief Ministers
- Indian cabinet 2015: Full list of Ministers and their portfolios in the Modi government
- Recipe: Misal Pav – how to make missal masala, usal and tarri
- Review: Southall Travel (Also Travel Trolley and Fly Sharp)
- Pics: Trisha Krishnan rocks Tarun Tahiliani saree for Lion film’s audio launch in Hyderabad
- Pics: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan stuns in Sabyasaachi at Cannes 2015
- South Indian actress Trisha Krishnan’s father passes away
- Trisha Krishnan and Kamal Haasan unveil first look for Thoongavanam and Cheekati Rajyam
- Katrina Kaif in Cannes 2015: Actress impresses fashion police in her debut appearance
- Review: VFS Global Joint Visa Application Centre in Paddington
India News Bulletin by email
More Lead Stories
- BFI-backed film campaigns to save Indian mud wrestling 'Kusthi' from dying
- Indian-origin Ranjit Boparan aka Chicken King tops UK Asian Rich List for Midlands
- Tribute pour for Aruna Shanbaug: Indian nurse in coma for 42 years after rape dies
- Indian-origin Harbhajan Kaur Dheer becomes first Asian woman Mayor of Ealing
- UK Election 2015: Labour's UK Asian candidates hold strong in Ealing